Areas of specialization / Research Interests:
- Globalization, Caste/ Religious Movements in Punjab, India
- Rural Transformation and Change.
- Sociology of Agriculture / Agribusiness.
Current Research Engagement: Ravidassia Religious Movement in Punjab/ UP, Since 2011
(Supported by a Minor research grant by AUD’s Academic Committee on Research and Project Management, ACRPM)
- Advisor (Research): Oxfam India project on ‘Time use as a Marker of Inequality in India’ supported by the European Commission (Feb 2014 to May 2014). The study assessed disparities in time use across different social groups and locations and was conducted across five locations in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Orissa.
- Honorary Member, State Level Task Force for the implementation of SSA, RMSA-Government of Haryana (2010).
- Member of the Core team, constituted by the Chandigarh Administration to devise strategies and implement plans for its “Value the Girl Child Campaign”. The assignment entailed organizing seminars and workshops for various target groups and providing sociological perspective to the campaign. (2007-2009).
- Worked as a Social Scientist with the Netherlands funded Rural Water Supply and Sanitation project at Kanpur, U.P. for JPS- Associates, Management Consultants, Delhi (1998).
- Invited as a discussant for a panel discussion on the book by the Sage Publishers, “Warzone Tourism in Sri Lanka: Tales from darker places in paradise”, by Professor Sasanka Perera, on 13th January, 2017 in India International Center, Delhi.
- Speaker at a panel discussion on 'Knowledge, Exclusion and Ethics- Issues Emerging from Research Focusing on Exclusion' from 11:15 am - 1:00 pm on 7 May 2014. This was part of a workshop ‘Effective Research for Development Practices and Policies’ that Oxfam organized at India International Centre Annexe 40, Max Mueller Marg, Lodi Estate, Delhi 110003 in collaboration with the European Commission.
- Invited as a panelist to participate in a National seminar organized by Dr. K.R.Narayanan Centre for Dalit and Minorities studies, Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi, 19-20 November 2013 ( Title of the paper Between the Devil and the Divine: Exploring the caste-religion dynamics among the Ravidasis of Punjab).
- Invited to deliver a lecture to the MPhil/PhD Students at JNU, SSS/SSS/SOC. The title of the paper was: Train to Begumpura: Understanding the dynamics of Ravidassia identity articulation in Punjab.
- Delivered a special lecture on the theme ‘Innovation and Entrepreneurship in agriculture: The role of society and community’ at the Centre for Science Policy at JNU, Delhi on 10th April 2012.
- As a panelist gave a talk on ‘Dalits, Deras and the Diaspora: Understanding the caste conundrum in Punjab’ in a National Seminar organized by the Political Science Department, Delhi University on 24th March 2012
- Invited as a speaker for a panel discussion on ‘Relevance of Social Theory’ by South Asian University (SAU), Delhi on 17th November 2011.
- Invited to speak on the theme ‘Globalization and the phenomenon of Dera in Punjab’ at the UGC Sponsored 33rd Refresher course in Sociology at Academic Staff College, JNU, Delhi on 9th March 2011
- Delivered a lecture on ‘Understanding Caste’ on 4.10.2010 in a workshop organized by Institute of Correctional Administration Sector 26, Chandigarh for police officers of Punjab, Haryana & Chandigarh.
- Delivered a lecture on ‘Poverty, Illiteracy and social harmony’ in a workshop organized for the NSS Programme Officers of Himachal Pradesh at Dr. Y.S. Parmar Agricultural University, Nauni Solan (H.P.) on 12 May, 2010.
- Invited as a panelist to speak on ‘Democracy, Pluralism and Police’ in a workshop organized by the Institute of Correctional Administration, Sector 26, Chandigarh for the police officers of Punjab, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh on 22.04.2010
- Delivered a talk on ‘Declining Sex Ratio in Chandigarh: a case of Mistaken Modernity’ to the pre service teachers of ETT, under the Population Education Project organized by the State Institute of Education, Chandigarh on 22nd January 2010.
- Delivered a talk on ‘Globalization and Health’ at School of Public Health , PGIMER, Chandigarh, at a workshop on Health promotion (18-30th Sept. 2008), on 25th Sept., organized by the SPH, PGI in collaboration with Public Health Research and Development Foundation, India.
- Invited to deliver a series of lectures to the students of Masters in Public Health at the School of Public Health (SPH), PGIMER, Chandigarh on issues ranging from gender and social discrimination in India to globalization and inter-faith dialogue. (1-12 Oct. 2007
- Supervised: 04 MPhil (Currently supervising 03 MPhil (2013-15) Centre for Development Practice, AUD
Member (Research/Academic bodies)
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal on Humanistic Ideology
- ISSN 1844 – 458X, a biannual journal published from the Cluj University Press, Romania, European Union, http://www.socio.humanistica.ro/
- Life member (LMI-1931), Indian Sociological Society (ISS), Delhi.
- Convener, Research Studies Committee (RSC) School of Liberal Studies, SLS, AUD