CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS AND INTERESTS
Venkataraman continues to work on various aspects of finite group theory, including questions related to enumeration of finite groups. She is also interested in questions regarding classification of finite groups on the basis of properties related to order of elements, conjugacy classes, subgroups etc.
Apart from her interest in Group Theory and related areas she is deeply interested in popularising mathematics, mathematics education and issues related to women in mathematics.
- Member, Executive Committee, Indian Women and mathematics (sponsored by National Board of Higher Mathematics), (2016-2019)
- Member, Editorial Board of Resonance, a Journal of Science Education for a period of three years, (2015-2017)
- Reviewer for Mathematical Reviews of the American Mathematical Society (April 2014 onwards)
- Member, Advisory Committee for Technology Vision 2035-Education Sector (TIFAC, Govt. of India) (2012-2014)
- Member, Editorial Board of Little Mathematical Treasures, Ramanujan Mathematical Society. (2012-2015)
- Member of Zonal Committee, North Zone, Project titled `Indian Women and Mathematics’ awarded by National Board of Higher Mathematics, DAE, Govt. of India. (2013-2018)
- Member, Indian National Presentation team for International Congress of Mathematical education (July 2012)
- Invited to be one of seven members of the Local Organising Committee, International Conference of Women Mathematicians (ICWM), Hyderabad, August 17-16, 2010. (This was a 2-day meeting prior to International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM) 2010 at Hyderabad.)
- Nominated by University of Delhi to attend the Third Blended Learning Workshop at Open University UK as part of team from ILLL. (2008)
- Appointed a senior fellow of the Mathematical Sciences Foundation, Delhi. (2002)
- Appointed a member of the Council of Editors of Resonance, a journal of science education for a period of three years, (2000-2003).
- Awarded sponsorship for two years by the Department of Science and Technology for a research project, housed at St. Stephen’s College, titled Enumeration of types of ﬁnite groups and associated topics, under the Young Scientists Scheme, (1997-1999).
- Elected to the Burton Senior Scholarship at Oriel College, University of Oxford, for the years 1991-1993
- Elected to an open scholarship by the Governing Body of St. Edmund Hall, University of Oxford, (1989)
- Inlaks Scholarship (1988-1990) to study for a second BA (Hons) in Mathematics at St. Edmund Hall, University of Oxford
- Rajpal Memorial Prize for the best woman student in St. Stephen’s College, University of Delhi, (1987)
- Invitee, Sub-Committee on Mathematics for reduction of middle school syllabus, Government of Delhi, January 2016
- Member, Selection Committee for selection of Assistant Professor Mathematics (permanent) at St. Stephen’s College, University of Delhi, Delhi, (March 2015)
- Member, Subject Expert Committee, to review scripts of a 13 part video serial on Mathematics being produced by Vigyan Prasar, Govt. of India
- Participated in a consultative meeting to discuss the curriculum for the undergraduate programme at TISS, Hyderabad. (2012)
- Participated in a consultative meeting for a proposed School of Undergraduate Studies at the Ambedkar University, Delhi (2009).
- Participated in a two day workshop on Perspectives and Future Prospects in Higher Mathematics held at the National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore (2006)
- Have proofread mathematical manuscripts and refereed papers for language and mathematics. (Texts and Readings in Mathematics (TRIM), Hindustan Book Agency and Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences, (Math. Sci.).)
- Have participated in activities related to Examinations of the University of Delhi as paper setter and Head examiner. Have done moderation related work for question papers of IGNOU.
Member of curriculum development/review boards for Shiv Nadar University, Delhi University, Ambedkar University Delhi, Indira Gandhi National Open University and the NCERT. Have also advised on Mathematics Syllabus for the Undergraduate Programme in Ashoka University.
- Programme Coordinator for MPhil and PhD Programme in Mathematics, Ambedkar University Delhi, April 2017- 2019.
- Dean Assessment, Evaluation and Student Progression, Ambedkar University Delhi, June 2016-2019.
- Officer on Special Duty for Assessment, Evaluation and Student Progession, Ambedkar University Delhi, Jan 2016- May2016
- Dean, School of Undergraduate Studies, Ambedkar University Delhi, July 2011 – May 2013.
- Chairperson, Admissions, Ambedkar University Delhi for Admissions in 2012.
- Chairperson, Library Advisory Committee, Ambedkar University Delhi, February 2015 – January 2017.
- Member (mathematics), Academic Coordination Committee, School of Liberal Studies, Ambedkar University Delhi, August 2014 – July 2016.
- Programme Coordinator (BA Honours Mathematics), Ambedkar University Delhi, June 2013 – June 2014 and 2011– 2012.
COURSES TAUGHT (a selection):
- Algebra: Group Theory, Ring Theory and Linear Algebra
- Analysis: Sequences and Series, Riemann integration and Uniform Convergence, Metric Spaces.
- Other courses: Lattices and Boolean Algebra, Elementary Number Theory, Probability and Statistics, Calculus.
- To non-mathematicians: Mathematical Awareness, Logic and Reasoning, Quantitative Methods
- MPhil and PhD Group Theory and Advanced Group Theory
- Masters Fields and Commutative Rings, Group Theory
- Supervised summer project on `Cryptography and the Enigma Machine’ for four students, including a DST Inspire Fellow. (2015)
- Supervised a group of 5-students in a weekly seminar on `Topology’. The aim is to read James Munkres’s book on `Topology’. (2014-2015)
- Supervised 10 undergraduate students of St. Stephen’s College, University of Delhi on a project related to Riemann Integration. (2014-2015)
- External mentor for a group of students of the Cluster Innovation Centre, University of Delhi working on a project titled ` IT model for parking space management’.