Centre for English Language Education (CELE)
Centre for English Language Education (CELE)
CELE was set up in 2017 with a range of objectives including –
- providing in-house English language support to University students, faculty and programmes;
- launching masters and PhD programmes specializing in ELE;
- undertaking innovative activities to promote quality improvement in ELE, including capacity building in non-formal and entrepreneurial sectors;
- promoting research, innovation and collaboration in ELE across India;
- undertaking research, consultancy, advocacy, extension and community outreach activities;
- evolving as a major ELE hub in the country.
Currently, CELE provides support to University students through EAP and proficiency courses and need-based workshops on academic writing, communication skills, etc. The CELE faculty also offers elective courses such as 'English: Structure & Practices', 'Multilingualism: Theory and Practice', 'Disciplines and Discourses', 'Ecocritical perspectives from Literature', 'Approaches to Language Learning' and 'Language, Society and Culture' in UG and PG programmes. With the support of the School of Education Studies of the university, CELE has recently launched the PhD (ELE) programme from the academic year 2022-23.
Faculty at CELE
Dr. Amol Padwad, Professor &Director - https://aud.ac.in/faculty/dr-amol-padwad
Dr. Krishna K Dixit, Associate Professor - https://aud.ac.in/faculty/dr-krishna-kalyan-dixit
Dr. MonalDewle, Assistant Professor - https://aud.ac.in/faculty/dr-monal-m-dewle-1
Areas of Research and Expertise in CELE
- ESL/ EFL, ESP
- Teacher education and development
- Language teacher motivation
- History of ELE in India
- Rural ELT
- Decentring ELT
- Second language pedagogy
- Teacher/ practitioner research
- Teacher networking and communities
- ELE policies in India
- Ecocritical approaches and ELE
- Discourse analysis
- Workshops, seminars, webinars and short term courses
- Collaborations with national and international organisations for research and faculty development
- Research and consultancy projects
- Community outreach and extension activities
- Two-day International Online Conference on Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Education for Sustainable Development (AIESD), 28-29 March, 2022 with financial support from the Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute, New Delhi.
- Two-day International Online Conference on Decentring ELT: Opportunities and Challenges online, 3-4 December 2021, in partnership with A. S. Hornby Educational Trust UK.
- Boot Camp in 21st Century Skills for students of AUD, 8-24 June 2022,in collaboration with RELO, American Centre and Indiana University.
- 4-week MOOC on Podcasts in Education, 21 December 2020 to 15 January 2021, in collaboration with IQAC AUD.
- 4-week MOOC on E-learning that works, 18 January to 13 February 2021in collaboration with Cani College, Vancouver, Canada and IQAC University.
- Webinar by Prof. Ajit Mohanty on The three-language formula: A bridge to nowhereon the World Teachers' Day, 05 October 2020, jointly with AINET Association of English Teachers.
Projects by CELE Faculty
- English for the EDI generation: Predicting and tracking the role of English and digital/mobile technologies in more equitable Higher Education across East and South Asia. Funded by British Council and led by Open University, UK. (Ongoing) (Prof. Amol Padwad, Co-PI)
- Relationship between TOEFL iBT and Academic Writing Practices in English-Medium Universities of South Asia: Case Studies from Bangladesh, India and Nepal. Funded by ETS and led by University of Bedfordshire, UK. (Ongoing) (Prof. Amol Padwad, Co-PI)
- Textbooks in Colonial Times: Reviewing the Status of Historical Explorations. Funded by A. S. Hornby Educational Trust, UK (Ongoing) (Prof. Amol Padwad & Dr. Krishna Dixit).
- Rural ELT in India – Making Sense and Working Effectively.Funded by A. S. Hornby Educational Trust, UK. (Ongoing) (Prof. Amol Padwad & Dr. Krishna Dixit).
- De/centering in ELT – Exploring perceptions and practices of Indian ELT community.Funded under the AUD MRPGrants Scheme. (Ongoing) (Prof. Amol Padwad).
- A study of Assessment Practices in ELE in Maharashtra.Funded underAUD MRPGrants scheme. (Ongoing) (Dr. Krishna Dixit).
- Environmental Awareness in ELE.Funded by A. S. Hornby Educational Trust, UK. (Ongoing) (Dr. Krishna Dixit).
- Development of country overviews on the status of English in basic education in South Asia.Consultancy by British Council. (Completed 2022, Prof. Amol Padwad and others)
- An exploratory study on teaching how to generate inferences in expositorytexts at graduation level in the EAP course at Dr. B. R. Ambedkar University Delhi. Funded under AUD SMG Awards scheme. (Completed - 2022) (Dr. Monal Dewle).
- Assessment and review of the English-Winglish programme for primary teachers of Delhi. Consultancy project for Tech Mahindra Foundation. (Completed – 2021) (Prof. Amol Padwad & Dr. Krishna Dixit).
Please see the faculty profiles.